Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Have you been to Australia? HELP!!!






So I am feeling a bit antsy and think I am going to go to Australia next month. It's about time. Tentatively planning Oct 20-Nov 16 or so, and then another wine school class in Napa when I return.
I've emailed my Aussie friends but want as much advice as I can get to help form my ideal rough outline of an itinerary. I'd like to wing most of it, but think I may have to book a few flights ahead. So please leave some comments about your favorite don't miss locations. And let me know what to skip.

Am thinking :
Week 1- Sydney (mon oct 20-sun 26 or so)
Week 2 - up north, great barrier reef, cairns, maybe whitsundays?? somewhere else?
(sun oct 26-sun nov 2)
Week 3- melbourne, i was informed that the melbourne cup is the 4th and i shouldn't miss it. i don't know what it is, but have learned to trust woz. i'm guessing it will likely involve beer, men, and some rugged sweaty sport. (mon nov 3-sat nov 8)
Week 4- see ayers rock (2-3 days??), head over to perth / margaret river area and drink wine for a few days (sat nov 8-fri nov 14)
Then back to sydney for the final weekend and leave on sunday the 16th

how does that sound? do i need more or less time in places? what did i miss?
and, since i'm so damn close, do i have time to see new zealand too? if it is not to be missed, i'll look for flights a few days earlier...

thanks, guys! i'm so jealous that so many of you have been there already and figured i should stop hating and just get on the plane.

And thank god for google...it just occurred to me that i might need a visa.


5 comments:

JenniB said...

Hey there.

Would totally recommmend Margaret River and Fremantle (outside of Perth). 3-4 days is more than enough. For the Whitsundays, would not recommend Hamilton Island - very honeymoonish. Cairns is really hippy, cheesy like a cheesy Jersey Shore. Sydney is great.

Let me know once you figure your schedule. I would love to meet you in MR but looking at my schedule things are pretty tight. I am in KL the weekend of the 24, HK the weekend of the 1st ans I have to fly to India the evening of the 9th so that weekend in out too. Any flexibility with dates?

JenniB said...

PH MY GOD!

I love the Bodner time clock!!!

Unknown said...

My comments... I would not try to do New Zealand at same time. You could easily spend a month in both... think it is too much territory to cover in one trip. Definitely do Great Barrier Reef and get the one day certification to Scuba.... you will not regret it! I would do WhitSunday islands and make sure you go to Whitehaven Beach (yes Bodner is right, Jen and I were the only straight single ones on Hamilton island). Also you are forgetting Ayers Rock... I think that is a 3 day trip, 2 nights max. I think a Must! Melbourne Cup is like thier Kentucky Derby... big hats and all ;) The whole country stops to watch it... it is during week and I remember working at a restaurant and it was packed... not sure anyone works that day ;) but it is Oz afterall! Pretty sure Visa is not required for 90 days or less.... so you are good. Lets talk soon about it! Love M

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to play the didgeridoo with the aboriginies!

rd said...

thanks for the tips guys!

and jeff, luckily, they have been giving free digeridoo lessons at the end of my weekly australian class

am almost fluent, and can rock the doo like a native!