Monday, September 22, 2008

The Prime Time Emmys



I caught the second half of the Prime Time Emmy Awards show on tv last night, and for someone who I thought watches a reasonable amount of tv, I obviously am not watching enough. When are all these shows on? What are Mad Men and Breaking Bad? (Please fill me in if you like & watch them...don't want to let another Arrested Development slip by...) And when do they air all these Mini-Series? (serieses? )

As I watched, 2 things kept bugging me about the show:
To the folks who make this show: please book another 1/2 hour or so of air time next year...you have some pull with the network people, no? I was trying to relax on the sofa and the whole show felt hectic and rushed, like it was trying to break some olympic speed record. All night, the hosts, presenters, and winners were racing at this frantic pace because the orchestra music was coming on and the commercials had to air on time. Even the little montages with the nominees felt like they were being played on fast forward. As for the winners...Give these people some space to speak and enjoy one of their 15 minutes. Some of them actually had some funny things to say. And we need a bit more time to really digest what they're wearing. My favorite line was from Sarah Palin look alike, and one of my favorites, Tina Fey. "I want to thank my parents for raising me with confidence disproportionate with my looks and abilities."

My other thought, which I will apply to all awards shows, is that the winner must be present to win. Ok, maybe you have to shoot a movie, or deliver a baby, so I'm willing to bend a little on this one. Winners can be not present if they do a *live* webcam acceptance speech. None of this pre-recorded bs. If you can't even show up, why should they have the courtesy to tell you that you won ahead of time? That's crap.
Can't be there or webcam in?....Sorry, bud, award goes to the second place person. Assuming they are present.

I did really enjoy the appropriately scripted over-drama of the reality show host award, presented by Jimmy Kimmel. (Nominees were Tom Bergeron, Howie Mandel, Heidi Klum, Ryan Seacrest and Jeff Probst )
Nice to see them experience what it is like to stand and wait for their own results through the agony of a commercial break. Heidi was my favorite, but when I think about it, the survivor guy's gig is a little bit rougher.

One final thought, I wish Betty White could be my adopted grandma, she is adorable. And I think her and Grandma Gloria would have a fabulous time together.

I also watched the last game at yankee stadium yesterday and cried several times. I am still collecting and processing my thoughts...will get to that this week sometime, but hope y'all saw it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I cried too watching the closing ceremonies of yankee stadium. I wish they could keep it as it is. So sad to be loosing it.