Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cal Worthington, My New Hero







So I've been seeing this commercial for Cal Worthington's Used Car Lot in Carlsbad for about a year now, but I think tonight was the first time I really *listened* to it, and to Cal, a nice grandpa-like figure in a bad blue grey western style suit and a cowboy hat. It was the last line of the commercial that stuck in my head for a few minutes before I realized it was a bit odd...
"Come down and see us at Dodge Headquarters, Worthington Dodge, in the car country mall in Carlsbad, we're open 'til midnight."
Midnight?
Who the hell buys a car at midnight?

Now I've done plenty of odd things in the wee hours. But I've been known to do some routine stuff as well...including laundry, jogging, drunk dialing, grocery shopping, various home improvement projects, accidentally locking myself out in clients' hallways, and getting my car washed. But car shopping at 10 or 11 pm has honestly never crossed my mind.

Then I started thinking about what kind of crowd they get in there at night, and now I am so curious, I think I'm going to have to go there and check it out. Maybe bring those poor salesguys some cookies or a pizza, because they've got to be bored out of their minds by that point in their shift. And the chance to meet a local legend like Cal...definitely worth the short drive.

Kudos to Cal for doing his part to make San Diego a late night city! Since moving out west, I've had a hard time finding a grocery store open past 10, but at least now I know I can go car shopping instead.

No comments: